20 articles on Cucumber and a free beverage recipe!
Cucumber has been getting quite a bit of attention in the community and with the new RSpec Book on nearing publication, I predict that by this time next year, it’ll become a household word like boanthropy.
What is Cucumber?
The Cucumber project describes itself as a suite that, “lets software development teams describe how software should behave in plain text. The text is written in a business-readable domain-specific language and serves as documentation, automated tests and development-aid – all rolled into one format.“
One of the great things about Cucumber is that it can be used to test applications in any language. I haven’t been able to track down a lot of articles of how people are using it with other languages, so please comment if you’re aware of some.
In any event, I’ve been collecting and reading resources from a variety of Cucumber aficionados and thought I’d share some links with you. To round it out, I asked on twitter for some others so that I could hit twenty. :-)
- What’s in a Story?, Dan North
- Telling a good story – Rspec stories from the trenches, Joseph Wilk
- Beginning with Cucumber, Ryan Bates (Railscasts)
- Using RSpec, Cucumber and User stories to build our internal systems, Rahoul Baruah
- Cucumber: The Latest in Ruby Testing, Ruby Inside
- Using Cucumber for Acceptance Testing, Noel Rappin
- Behavior Driven Development with Cucumber, Brandon Keepers (presentation/slides)
- Testing capistrano recipes with cucumber, Jeff Dean
- Using Cucumber to Integrate Distributed Systems and Test Messaging, Ben Mabey
- Tutorial: How to install/setup Cucumber, Alan Mitchell
- Testing outbound emails with Cucumber, Dr. Nic Willians
- Proper Cucumber Sintatra Driving, Chris Strom
- On getting started using Cucumber for .NET
- DRY up your Cucumber Steps, Matt Wynne
- Cucumber, Celerity, & FireWatir, Aidy Lewis (presentation/video)
- Cucumber step definition tip: Stubbing time, Bryan Helmkamp
- Story Driven Development Recipes with Cucumber, Sebastien Auvray
- Testing Facebook with Cucumber, Brandon Keepers
- Testing with the help of machinist, forgery, cucumber, webrat and rspec, Etienne van Tonder
- Integration testing SSL with Cucumber
- Continuous Integration Blueprints: How to Build an Army of Killer Robots With Hudson and Cucumber
So.. there you have it. Please post comments with links to any useful articles not mentioned and I’ll try to keep the list updated.
FREE RECIPE: Cucumber Water
And now…for the reason you are all here! If you like cucumbers (eating them)... I would highly recommend heading to your local farmers market and purchasing some cucumbers. Aside from being healthy to eat… they can help make a tasty beverage.
Then do the following…
- Chop several slices of a cucumber
- Fill a pitcher with cold water and ice
- Toss in slices of cucumber
- Stir and leave in fridge for a while
- Take out of fridge, pour into cup…
- Drink… hack… and enjoy
Be sure to check out, How to Make Cucumber Water on wikihow for details.